An effective framework for governance, accountability and monitoring, evaluation and learning are key enablers for the success of a D&I strategy.
➖Establish an executive D&I/DEI council which aims to (recommendations from Gartner):
- Provide strategic guidance and cross-function insight to DEI functional strategy by aligning DEI strategy to the overall business strategy
Drive individual leader accountability by contextualizing organizational DEI strategies.
Achieve employee buy-in and satisfaction by communicating with employees and ERGs about the presence and achievements of the executive DEI council, increasing its effectiveness.
➖ An executive D&I/DEI council should hold Executive Directors accountable against targets with timely and granular management information, which is linked to their reward.
➖ An executive D&I/DEI council should ensure managers are held accountable by leadership against expectations and be linked to their performance rating.
'If you’re a board member, you have an essential role to play in D&I governance. You should make sure there is action and change that employees can see and feel. You should be asking your CEO questions about:
- The current experience and representation of non-white groups.
- Their leadership on the D&I strategy and goals.
- Their visibility to employees and the community regarding these matters.
- The progress the company is making on D&I goals'. 5 Strategies to Infuse D&I into Your Organization, HBR
- Report: What Really Works: Ensuring Inclusive Working Cultures, BITC
- Article: 5 Strategies to Infuse D&I into Your Organization, HBR